Wednesday, August 19, 2009

Recipe Box (Trisha)

Stuck on the top of one of our kitchen cupboard shelves is an old discolored box that’s been there for years, accumulating an odd assortment of rarely used recipes. It’s just an ordinary hard plastic recipe box and I have often thought about pitching it because for one thing I don’t cook. So why on earth am I keeping all those handwritten note cards – some of them so faded with age that I could barely read them even if I did cook! But I can’t bring myself to toss into the trash that beat up old box with its smudge prints left behind by the sticky fingers of whichever grandma it was who used it so regularly before she died. Denny and I simply can’t remember if we acquired the box from his side of the family or from mine, and it’s ended up turning into a kind of family culinary archive containing the likes of Grandma Maude’s recipe for trinkle cake, Aunt Marie’s porcupine meatballs, Grandma Miller’s Sugar cookies, Denny’s mom’s Cherry Pink salad and even my own mother’s Hungry Boy Casserole- a recipe I remember asking her to give me when my two sons were little boys even though I don’t recall ever using it. To be honest, I’ve never used the majority of the other recipes in that box either, including all those I clipped out of magazines in the early days of my marriage (back when I aspired to being a happy little Suzy Homemaker). But from time to time I get them all out and go through them one by one, carefully replacing them behind their dog-eared cardboard index tabs to make sure that the cookie recipes don’t get lost amidst the salads, the casseroles don’t mingle with the beverages, and so forth. Why bother? Why not just ditch the whole kit and caboodle and open up a little more cupboard space? It’s because stuck at the very back – which is where I inevitably end up putting it – is a tattered piece of brittle newspaper, yellowed with age and practically falling apart from being unfolded and refolded so many times. It’s a clipping from a newspaper with recipes for how to cook wild game – pan fried rabbit, squirrel, pheasant, wild goose. It’s from my Grandpa Ray who had numbered the recipes and asked Grandma to enclose them in one of her letters to me. I don’t remember that Grandpa ever sent me a letter and I don’t have a single piece of paper with his handwriting on it – except for those numbers he’d printed on that faded print of newsprint. It probably goes without saying that not once in my life have I ever cooked a rabbit, squirrel, pheasant or wild goose. But I cannot imagine getting rid of those recipes because it would be like letting go of my Grandpa all over again. Though he’s been dead now for nearly 40 years, I’ve still got that fragile piece of newsprint that opens up so many memories of him every time I unfold it. I guess that’s why I can’t get rid of the plastic recipe box either. It’s too full of links to other people I can’t let go of.

3 comments:

Kathi said...

Touching, for I too have an old green recipe box that I just can't throw out. And I think you hit it on the nail, because it would be like throwing out all those memories and people who contributed. Although we either go to the Web, or try a recipe from the latest issue of "Cook's Illustrated" or "bon appetit" I too will always keep my old green recipe box.

Kathi

Monnik said...

I love this post. I have this ridiculous box that I believe was meant to store men's shaving equipment in it. I have no use for it, but my Great Grandpa Ed gave it to me one day.

I don't have a lot of memories of Grandpa Ed, even though he died when I was fairly old - 12 or 13 maybe. What I remember is my mom telling me what an interesting man he was. She used to love to listen to him tell stories of his life. Because he was interesting to my mom, the idea of him became interesting to me.

And so... his old shaving box sits on the top shelf of my closet. I don't use it, but I won't be throwing it away any time soon.

Trisha Day said...

thanks for this note, Monica...yes Grandpa Ed was a fascinating guy. He was a very inventive person who had some unique ideas about things and he loved talking about them. He would say "I conceived of an idea..." and then launch into his latest brainchild. Sometimes they were pretty funny. Here's one I remember: "I conceived of an idea for how to end wars. If soldiers would have to fight naked they would no longer know who to shoot since no one would be wearing uniforms."